About this Special Issue
The legalization of Medical Aid in Dying (MAID) has become one of the most controversial ethical issues of recent time in the global medical community and societies. Countries with legalized MAID observe substantial increases in cases of MAID, and more countries are likely to legalize MAID in the upcoming years.
MAID is a comparatively new phenomenon, with many factors in its global use that have not yet been sufficiently understood. Therefore, it is now important to compile long-term experiences from countries with legal access to MAID.
With this Call, we invite Original Articles, Reviews and Theory & Concept articles that present current data and insights based on multidisciplinary research on the multifaceted issue of MAID. We are interested in manuscripts on how legalization, and use of MAID impact on:
- Populations requesting MAID: What are conditions, reasons and motivations considering and choosing MAID? How do underlying diseases and conditions for MAID change over time as the number of cases increases?
- Health care professionals who are approached by persons with their wish to die: How does the practice of MAID affect ethical frameworks, principles, and self-understanding of physicians, nurses, and other health care workers?
- Families and friends of those people who chose MAID
- Policy and legislation regulating access and various types of MAID
- Public health and society: What is the understanding regarding MAID? What is the effect of the right-to-die organizations as key opinion leaders regarding public perception of MAID?
The Call is open from 01 September 2023 until 30 April 2024.
IJPH publishes Gold Open Access. Article processing charges (APCs) apply. The IJPH’s GLOBEQUITY program offers a limited number of APC waivers for first authors from low- and middle-income countries.
IJPH double-blind peer-review and author guidelines apply. Submitted manuscripts must fully comply with IJPH rules for article type, length and format (please consult the information for authors on the IJPH website).
Please submit the complete manuscript.
In case of acceptance after peer review, articles will be published in the online special issue approximately 3 weeks after acceptance.
Contact: IJPH Editorial Office: email@example.com
We look forward to your submission!
Keywords: Medical aid in dying, assisted dying, assisted suicide, voluntary active euthanasia, end-of-life decisions